Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Homemade Cheddar Crackers


Luke sharing his cracker with Bear.
I finally made homemade Cheddar Cheese Crackers!


The original recipe I found here but  I had to tweak a couple of things so here is my version.

I don't have a food processor so after I mixed the first three ingredients together in a bowl, I used my blender working small amounts at a time. It really didn't take as long as I thought it would. My blender didn't cut the butter in very well though, so I ended up just doing it with a pastry blender.



 According to the original recipe you should be able to roll out the dough after cutting in the butter. I don't know if because I didn't used a processor, that my dough was more crumbly and dry- but it was not going to roll out. I tried. I added a few tbsps of water till it was just moistened. I then rolled it out  1/4 in. thick and used my smallest biscuit cutter to cut them out.




 On my lighter cookie sheet they needed to bake the full 16 min. but on my darker pan they were done in 14 min. They don't taste good if they get too dark so you want to keep an eye on them.




 Luke loves them- so I was glad for that. He is fairly picky about his snacks (which is so odd because I always thought toddlers just ate anything) but this kid loves flavor. They are crispy, flaky, and cheesy but not quite like a true cracker. They don't quite *crunch* but I suppose there is always room for improving? Overall I was happy with them and will most likely make them again. I stored them in a ziplock bag. 

Whole Wheat Cheddar Cracker

Prep Time:10 minutes, Cook Time: 15 minutes, Total Time: 25 minutes
2 cups cheddar cheese, grated
1 cup whole wheat flour
1/4 tsp garlic power
1/4 tsp onion powder
1/4 tsp smoked paprika
6 tablespoons unsalted butter, chilled, and diced
1. Preheat oven to 400 F.
2. Place the first 5 ingredients in a bowl and mix. Blending small batches in blender, blend till no big chunks of cheese left. Pour back into bowl.
3. Add the butter and using pastry blender, cut in butter till it resembles small crumbs. Add 4-6 tbsp of water and toss till moist. Form into ball.
4. Roll out dough 1/4 inch thick on a floured surface. Cut out with cookie cutter.
5. Bake for 15-17 minutes.

Next up! Making some sweet treats--because I like sweet snacks more than salty. :)



















No comments:

Post a Comment